Thursday, October 27, 2016

i've seen that road before

This is one of my favourite recent drawings (or urban sketches as they now have to be called). I made this at the end of a long day. I thought I was all drawn out, but I found a window seat in a café directly across the road from this lovely pink building.

A couple of weeks ago, I blogged about how much my work has changed and in the comments somebody (another Andrea) said "There's a certain element to your style - organicness (? if that's even a word) which does link it all (old and new work) together." I liked hearing that. From the very beginning, and all of the drawings that I made came from an authentic place, and even though I wouldn't want to - couldn't even - draw in that way anymore, it still is very much part of me and my work. I wouldn't want to deny it or try to erase it. So it pleases me to know that others can see that link. I do. 
I think then, and now, I was always trying to achieve the same thing; I've always been trying to make the drawings that I would have loved as a kid. The kind of drawing that would have made the young me want to draw. That's always my in my mind. Well maybe not my mind, I'm not consciously thinking about it, but that aim is somewhere inside me. I think that this drawing is a favourite of mine because, I reckon, the young me would have loved it.

Somebody also recently said to me "there is no such thing as art it's all nostalgia". It's quite a bold and perhaps controversial statement. It's something I've thought about a lot since hearing it. I think I agree. 

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oh I love it! It does have a beautiful, organic quality to it. And the saying about how "there is no such thing as art it's all nostalgia"... I think I agree - nostalgia for the past and nostalgia for things and times we never had. The art that speaks to me the most invokes a feeling of nostalgia even if it's abstract. I kind of love that!

Dee Tracy said...

Hello Andrea! I am so happy to read your blog and see that you are enjoying your work! I met up with you at SBS and because of your class, I'm drawing every single day. I hadn't drawn regularly for several years, so it feels so good to be loving it again. It's so interesting for me to see how your work has evolved over the years. I always worked in pencil and colored pencil and now I'm focusing on your long-ago beloved ballpoint pen. I think changing mediums has helped me become inspired again!

I love the e-zines I purchased from you and look at them often.

Take care and keep drawing!
Dee

HayleySarah said...

Oh wow, I love it xx

Linda said...

Lovely sketches, you have an amazing talent.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the comment. It narrowly defines art and does not at all address either progressive art (aka, new or contemporary) or the revelations of technical prowess. To say that all art is nostalgia is to relegate are to the subject matter portrayed in the art, if there is such.

Just Starting Out said...

No comments.. There should be some. I think you have done an excellent drawing here. It's very impressive. I went through a stage where I was always drawing. It came to me at a time when I was at a loss and needed an outlet for my emotions and creativity. These days I have lost the desire to truly create something. I hope to get it back. Anyway, you have a nice drawing style and I hope people appreciate it.