Sunday, June 16, 2013

why i went missing

A sneaky peak at a drawing that has taken over my life or the last couple of weeks. Recently, I've hopped, skipped and jumped from one deadline to another. I'm not sure what or where I'm supposed to be next and I never know what day it is. This drawing is for the Derbyshire Open Art competition. I've been meaning to enter this competition, and exhibition, for the last few years but never got around to it. As always with these things, you feel like there's loads of time between you and the submission day and next thing you know it's tomorrow.

The only theme for this competition is that the work has some Derbyshire connection. So, I drew this gorgeous shop in Buxton. I don't want to share the whole thing quite yet as a) it's a bit of a surprise for the girls at the shop and b) I have to work out how to resize the drawing so that it's not robbable (that is an actual word, I've just checked it out, I was convinced I'd made it up) as, if you follow me on Facebook you'll know, there's a lot of that been going on recently.

So, yesterday, I found myself, in the car, outside the gallery attaching mirror plates to the back of the frame with a screwdriver I won in a Christmas cracker. It's true. Still, I made the submission day and can relax until the next thing. Can anyone tell me what that is?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I know that feeling! When you've poured your all into a piece, and it's finished. And now your desk is empty! You will fill it with a new baby soon! I can't wait to see! The Favorite Shop drawing is so nicely done, and a charming piece for the show!

Kiri said...

good luck.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys.

Yes, Katherine, there's lots of things in the pipeline but I'm just enjoying having a couple of days to clean the house - I cannot tell you how much it needs it!

Cheers.

Martin Hughes said...

Congratulations on getting into the exhibition, Andrea! It was a lovely suprise to see your work there (because I hadn't looked at your blog for a while!)