Saturday, June 01, 2013

if you go down to the woods tonight....

Knocked up this promo drawing for our next Dr Sketchy Sheffield event in a couple of weeks time. I'm meant to be doing something else. I have a publishing deadline looming, which is why I am a) making posters for Dr Sketchy events and b) pissing around on the internet.

There's one thing that's really annoying me about this drawing, now that I see it on a screen, and that is the dark green bit at the top of the picture really needs straightening. Is there a straightening tool in Photoshop? I've looked for it. In fact, I wasted at least an hour looking for it, but couldn't find anything.

Anyway, if you are in Sheffield, or anywhere nearby, on the 18th of June, come and join us at the Greystones pub. I can guarantee a night of fabulous girls, great music and drawing. What more do you want on a Tuesday evening? The theme this time (just in case you haven't worked it out, and quite frankly, if you haven't a) I've failed miserably and b) you might be a little bit slow. Just saying) is fairy tale.

Now, I'm off to clean the bath or alphabeticise my DVDs or make up some new words (like alphabeticise) or....

11 comments:

Cheryl Gebhart said...

Lovely poster. I know that Photoshop Elements has a straighten tool; not sure about Photoshop. But you can straighten in Photoshop by using the crop tool.

Hannah said...

Straightening tool is under the crop tool! The icon is a small ruler. You can always click help in the toolbar and search "straighten."

Ulli said...

Great drwaing! There is a 9-Point-Grid in Photoshop under Edit menu > Transform > Warp, you can easily straighten your drawing with this.

Ulli

Ulli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

There is a "straightening" tool in Photoshop. I use Photoshop Elements 10, and it's under the Image menu. The very first choice is Rotate, and under that the choices include Free Rotate Layer. If you're using the full program, there's bound to be a similar tool that will let you straighten an image.

Beth said...

Drat. Lost my first comment. I hope this doesn't post twice.

There is indeed a way to straighten images in Photoshop. In Elements 10, it's under the Image menu. The very first option is Rotate. Under that is an option called Free Rotate Layer. If you're using the full version of Photoshop, I'd think you could find a similar command under Image.

dinahmow said...

I'd love to come and draw fairy tales, but I'll be in New York!
Now, go and do that work...

Caroline B said...

Ah, procrastination when you have a deadline....that is my greatest skill. So I'm off to water the garden while my painting sits accusingly in the corner...

Christine said...

Wonderful poster! It has a lovely tension to it... Something about to happen!! Photoshop elements will straighten it for you but if not, it really doesn't look bad at all... Consider it wabi sabi, like the flaws in fine leather... like life!

I need orange said...

Yet another way to straighten in Photoshop Elements -- Image/Transform/Skew lets you pull (or push) corners in or out, stretching (or squashing) the image............

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks so much, guys. In some ways, I think I'd have been better off starting with Elements as opposed to full blown Photoshop - cos it just confuses the hell out of me.

I've taken your advice(s?) and I tried the ruler tool but got nowhere with it. Yes, I lined it up against the drawing but nothing happened! I ended up using the warp thingy that Ulli suggested, which seemed to work. In fact, I've used it in a couple of drawings on my next post.

Cheers, you are always so much help.