Thursday, June 27, 2013

i know the sadness

I don't know what it is about shops at the moment, but they seem to have unintentionally become a theme.

 I ADORE this place; Patricia's. It's in New Mills, our 'local' town. I've been driving and walking past it in awe for some years. And, always, thinking 'I have GOT TO draw it'. I was saying as much when I drove past, a couple of weeks ago, with some friends. They said 'do it, do it now! Or otherwise you'll drive past one day and it'll be gone, boarded up, renovated'. I know it's true. There was another old hair salon in another local town (the town where I drew the flower shop in the last post), very similar to this, called Cynthia's. It had net curtains and polystyrene mannequins wearing bonnets and baskets full of dried flowers and Easter chicks (not, real ones). I almost came to a stop every time I drove past it  - which always pleased everyone else on the roads. Anyway, I drove past one day and it was gone. It had become a shiny new beauticians. I was sad. Very sad.

Anyway, yesterday, I finally stopped outside Patricia's, parked up and got my pens out. There's such a melancholy about these old places. As I was drawing I could hear the ghosts of yesteryear filling the place with chatter and gossip, as it would have been it's heyday. Damn, I'd LOVE to have a look inside.

Since I posted the, above, sketch on Facebook I've been informed that "it  (Patricia's) belonged to the beautiful Patricia Pott, she sadly died in the 80's and her husband, who recently died left it exactly how it was. How romantic is that? Pat was a lifelong member of New Mills Amateur Operatic Society and a lovely lady". That's exactly how I'd imagined Patricia (thanks for confirming it Alison).

A couple of other things about the drawing. People often ask, when looking through my sketchbooks, "what do you do if you go wrong?" Well, two answers; collage or, as in this one, draw over it! You maybe be able to see the ghost of another drawing under Patricia's. Somehow that felt fitting. Also, whilst making this drawing I decided that I was going to buy Patricia's and keep the facade exactly how it is. Behind it I'd have a modern swanky studio and gallery, but up front nothing changes. 'Cos we really need these old places on our High Streets.

Oh, OH! And, when I finished drawing I went to adjust my car seat and saw this piece of paper on the floor. I don't remember writing it, but it is my writing. I am a sucker for a great quote and have to write them down where and whenever I hear one. I'm guessing this was something I heard on the radio. It was just one of those moments though. You know? Just one of those moments.

Plus, it was a ready made title for a blog post.

17 comments:

Diane Perin said...

I love your drawing, and love how sympathetically you can imagine the life this place had. It looks like a place full of stories.. And you have conveyed this in your drawing. It's funny...

Shirley said...

What a wonderful story. Love the drawing and you idea of making it a gallery and studio!

Conelmate said...

Beautiful story, I bet Patricia would be very happy that you felt drawn to her salon. I love your blog!

Polly Birchall said...

Really fascinating post, loved reading it and looking at your drawing.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, guys, for your lovely kind comments. I'm touched by them.

Cheers, Andrea.

Alibobs said...

Andrea, I was very moved to see the full sketch of patricia's. You have caught the atmosphere and melocholy the place holds. As an 'Am Dram' Pat would have been equally thrilled no doubt. What a very lovely way to preserve her history. xx

Alibobs said...

Andrea I was very moved to see your whole sketch of Patricia's. You have really caught the atmosphere and meloncholy of the place. As an 'Am Dram' I am sure Pat would love it too. What a lovely way to preserve her history. xxx

Unknown said...

Aw, this is a great post! I like that drawing so much! And you must think like I do when I see those old places that have been neglected. They have such stories they could tell.

Christine said...

What a lovely and oh so poignant story and such a wonderful drawing to pay tribute to this little piece of yesteryear. Next time I drive through New Mills I will pause (yes, I hope the cars behind keep their correct distance according to the Highway Code too!) and nod my respects to the establishment in all its retro shabby chic-ness!

I love the way you draw (literally draw haha) my attention to all these individual local places. The first time I ever found you on the net, having been prompted by someone who lives in Australia no less, I came face to face with Scrivener's bookshop. What a jolt of pleasure to see something so familiar, so unexpectedly!!

Anonymous said...

Me, too. :(

CHRIS MURRAY said...

Love your magical vision.

Frances D said...

I absolutely adore your drawings pf Patricia's and the flower shop spread on two pages in blue. They remind me of shops from long ago in my childhood. Today I posted about a blank sketchbook I bought myself a couple weeks back. I haven't used it yet. I actually am visiting as many art related blogs as I can to find some inspiration. I found you on a blog buddy's blogroll - she makes good choices. Looking forward to coming by again.

Miraculous Mosquito said...

I loved this post so much, and thanks for including the actual photo of the shop that is in your drawing. This would be such a good starting point for a series of drawings on this sort of theme, the stories behind things that have become old, and look forgotten. Or even a whole book of drawings, with the stories included...would be so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Patricia Pott was my aunt. She died at 53 of cancer. She had closed this shop & had another hairdressing business in the town & a dress shop. But, unfortunately died of cancer in 1991. Her husband died recently in his 80's & her eldest son, my dear cousin just this month. Please remember, there are real people behind your indulgences. Patricia was indeed a active member of the Art Theatre, New Mills. She would of hated all this. She was a very modern, vibrant person, full of life & laughter.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Dear Anonymous, I'm very sorry you feel that this drawing is just fulfilling an indulgence, although, maybe, it could be said, that is all art ever is. I felt it was a tribute to a lady that I never knew. I've walked and driven past this salon daily, for many years. I've always thought that it was a beautiful place - which is why I felt compelled to draw it. Patricia's a part of everyone who lives in this town. I've only ever imagined it full of life and laughter. It was and still is a tribute. That's all.

Unknown said...

Andrea – Whilst I have no objection to your quaint little sketch of what is essentially a dilapidated shop frontal, I find some of your comments odd – you say you ‘ADORE this place’ and want to buy it and keep the front unaltered. You cannot be serious!

I was frankly surprised by some of the comments blogged by 2 people (Ana Polari, Alibobs), who’ve looked at your item and had the temerity to suggest that Patricia would have been ‘thrilled’ or flattered by it. (How well did they know her?) Probably not at all. Patricia possessed a completely modern outlook and would have liked to view the premises redeveloped rather than being allowed to deteriorate.

Perhaps you may be interested to know what she was really like? She was intelligent and artistic (yes, she too could have been an artist if she’d wished), she was hardworking and successful, had a wide range of interests (including operatics and dance); she was generous and kind as well as being a beautiful woman. The shop that you have drawn ceased to operate as a business in the mid 1980s because Patricia had opened a stylish dress shop on Union Road and also transferred the hairdressing business to other premises on Market Street. Her intention had been to sell the original shop premises and buy a house. Tragically she became very ill before her plan could materialise and died in 1991. You are right in saying that her husband didn’t wish to change anything. The inability or unwillingness to move on was so sad and certainly not what Patricia (or other family members) would have wanted. Recently seeing it again 'in the flesh' after many years saddened me. Andrea's pretty little sketch may attempt to create something flattering out of a shabby shop front but that's all - 'art for art's sake' to quote a well-used expression. Together with her story, it's quite separate - arty perhaps but no tribute to the real people who once lived here.

Miraculous Mosquito said...

I think Andrea did an amazing job of showing us the beauty of the subject, even if the shop appears to have lost its former glory. She was drawn to the shop in the first place because the beautifully presented objects in the window gave the impression that the former owner of the shop put love, time and effort into the display. Even though we can see the shop is older and unchanged for many years, the artist has applied every stroke of her pen with much care and created a beautiful piece of artwork which most people would really admire.