Sunday, June 23, 2013

have you ever had it blue?

This is Foster's flower shop in the town of Chapel-en-le-Frith. It's another of those places I drive past often and think 'one day I'm going to stop and draw this'. Finally, I did.

Sometimes, actually most of the time, when I see a place like this, I imagine the drawing in my head. It's very brief, it's like I take a mental photograph of it, which I then store until I get around to making the drawing. When I take that 'mental photograph' I can see the colours, I know exactly which pens and what paper I should use.

This flower shop, well, I always saw it in bright primary colours. Just red, blue and yellow. But as I sat, in my car, drawing it I couldn't bring myself to add any other colour. Maybe it was just fear. Or maybe, it was just meant to be blue. Although, I would still like to splatter a load of red and yellow paint over it. Maybe I will. Or maybe I'll just leave it as it is. Or, maybe, perhaps, I'll just go back and draw it again. Who knows?

4 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

What a lovely drawing. I like the blue on it's own.

stacey v said...

Love it in blue! i like that you get detail but not are not exact. it gets the idea across. i would like to see the color one though too. maybe next time you drive by.

pencil drawings said...

your drawings are wonderful.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, guys. Yes, next time I drive past I'll take the colour pens out! Cheers.