Saturday, June 08, 2013

are we coming across clear?

Here's a few little drawings I got to make at our little exhibition last weekend. I've been meaning to post them ever since, but I've not even had the time to scan, upload and blog the drawings. I'm that busy.

It seems that I get busier and busier these days. In fact, I was discussing this with a friend the other day. He asked how the exhibition had gone, and I said "it went great. Very busy and lots of interest in my work."

"So, are you any nearer to giving up the day job?" he asked. "Nope" I said, "I don't understand it, I work more and more but earn less and less". Then, I probably, maybe, moaned for a while longer about how difficult it was to make a living and how skint I was (am).

"You know what you need?" he said. "Nope" I said "well apart from more money coming in". "What you need" he said "is a louder trumpet". "You need a louder trumpet".
It summed it up. It made so much sense. And ever since I've been pondering what the trumpet might look like, what it might sound like and how I acquire that louder trumpet.

7 comments:

Caroline B said...

If you find that louder trumpet, can you share it's location? I'm in the same position, working all hours yet still no nearer to being totally freelance and making a decent living.

Unknown said...

These are delightful! I especially love the last one, but I keep going back to look at each one again and again. They are all so well-rendered and so artistically creative! I enjoy your work very much, and your special uniqueness that comes out in your subjects and how you portray them.

Dan Kent said...

There is a podcast by a marketer-turned-artist that has lots and lots and lots and lots (did I say lots?) of marketing advice for artists. And it is very enjoyable, even exciting sometimes, to listen to. I can't believe that there won't be something there that can help your trumpet blare: It is "Artists Helping Artists", and the podcast is at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/artistshelpingartists

Polly Birchall said...

I big trumpet and some luck as well, and being in the right place at the right time. A friend of mine is trying oh so hard and seems to have had lots of breaks but selling her work is another story. Good luck

Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

Same boat here. I imagine it's a matter of not caring about how skint you are. Then suddenly money won't matter and it with either A) start coming in or B) we won't care that it's not coming in and be happy regardless.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Lelia Sorokina said...

Andrea, do you sell on Shutterstock?

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi guys,
thanks. This louder trumpet is proving very elusive, but I have no doubt that I WILL find it!!

Katherine, thanks, the bottom one is my favourite. The others aren't so special but, I feel pleased that I'm at the point where I don't worry about posting those that I'm no so pleased with.

Great Dan, I'll give it a listen.
Polly, you're right. Right place right time.

Kaitlyn, it's so hard not to care about how skint you are when you can't pay the bills. Then you become consumed by being skint. It's a vicious circle (I think that's the phrase I'm looking for but I've been up all night drawing!). It's a tricky one, but there will be a time when I don't need to worry about money. I'm sure of it! SURE.

No, Leila, I hadn't even heard of it before (just Googled it). Is it worth getting involved with? Please don't tell me you've seen my work on there? Would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you all.